Monday, August 8, 2011

Day Five Recap!

I posted this video by Tommy Emmanuel below in the Day One Recap. I like this video for a variety of reasons... and thought it was great to revisit it here.



It's easy to look at great guitar player like Emmanuel and say... "I could never do that."

All things technology fit into that mindset as well. 'I can't do that' or 'I'm not good at that' or 'I'll never be that good at it' are all thoughts that might cross your mind at one time or another.

The most powerful lesson you can teach is that you never stop learning... that you are not afraid to learn something new.

Many of us older folk, and even younger ones, come from an era of 'scripted learning.' Things are prepared for us, step-by-step. We are asked to follow directions, provide the required feedback, prepare the specified content in a specified format for a grade. We get great at following directions.

Technology though... provides new challenges... and opportunities in learning.

Here's an example of how I showed a person in the Fall Semester last year to create a blog for his work.

A: I'd like you to create a blog for the class. Something creative that documents your journey here, video, audio, reflective writing, inspirational things... whatever you'd like to create on it, that'd be appropriate to share with the class (smile).

Student: Which blog should I use?

A: What ones are available?

Student: I don't know. I've never used one.

A: How would you find out?

Student: I could search for one.

A: Great idea!

Student: Searches for some blogs and finds: Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger... and about 100 other ones.

Student: UGH! There are so many! Which one do I choose?

A: I don't know... they all have different strengths. Take a look at a few and see what you find.

Student: Which one is easiest? Which one do you use?

A: Look at our class blog and see if you can figure out which one we use.

Student: You use Blogger for the class. Why did you choose that one?

A: It integrates with Google, is actually owned now by Google, so I use it... it's easy.

Student: I'll try that one then. Looks cool.

Student: How do I set one up?

A: Good question! How would you find out?

Student: Go to the Blogger page maybe...

You might guess where this went from here. The student tried to prompt me to give them 'specific' directions on how to log in, and all the steps to create a blog. I kept referring them to login, and evaluate what's on the screen: Create a name, pick a template, try rearranging things, and to search for things like, 'Introduction to blogger,' to use the help menus. We went' on through... the student asking "how do I insert a video?" and I'd say... "How do we find out? We can use the help menu, search the web for something like 'how to insert a video in blogger."

They began, slowly, to ask fewer and fewer questions... and in two short weeks, their blog turned into something quite spectacular.

It's easy to look at the finished product and think... I can never get there.

I use five practices with students all the time:
1. Read what's on the screen.
2. Use the web to search for things like 'introduction to...' or 'how to...'
3. Seek tutorials on the web: Podcasts, videos, etc.
4. Try something! Click a button... learn to take risks... and how to step back from failures (Undo, History (in Photoshop), revert to earlier saved versions, etc).

Viewing what's on the screen, what things say, clicking a button... may lead you somewhere.

5. Then... there's promoting the 'experts' in class to help each other. I helped the student above to create a blog, and then asked them to help some others in class to do the same. I was careful though to show them not to do this for another person though, rather, let the person you're helping drive, help steer them, and help them learn to explore what's on the screen.

It's an explorative way to use software... and to teach.

It's a lot like learning to play a baseline... then adding a drummer part, then adding a rhythm guy... and then to play the melody on top of it all.

Tommy Emmanuel didn't just pick up a guitar and play this way. As his skills and comfort level increased, new doors began to open. He experimented, practiced, he sought out mentors (he thanks Chet Atkins in the video for a great lick that he plays in the song), and he refined his craft. Much like the kids we highlighted in the El Sistema video from Venezuela, they learned their craft.

As I said many times in class, each generation has it's challenges. I feel one of the major challenges of this generation is:

Use technology for it's creative capacity rather than just a source of entertainment or basic reading or writing.

By loosening up my guidelines, adding creativity and ownership, and mentoring... I've gotten far better results from students in projects. Ultimately, the students feel the work they do is more gratifying, that they are doing it for their benefit rather than simply doing it for a grade.

If you keep moving forward... you might end up somewhere you always should have been... or somewhere you might never have seen... like working with a great group of folks in Monterrey Mexico.

So...

I added some things to the Resources page, and I'll keep adding posts here if you'd like. Collaborative blogs like this can be a great place to keep learning.

All the Recap posts from the week can be found easily by clicking on the 'Recap' tag, under Labels on the right hand side of the blog. Using labels posts can make things easy to find.

On the first post here in this blog... I tossed in a picture I took on the plane flying into Monterrey.

Here's a video I shot with my phone on the way from Monterrey to Houston, out the window of the plane and tossed on YouTube (all on my phone) a few moments ago.



There's so much more you can do with these tools rather than research, write, and read. If you inspire kids to learn with tools... to create with these tools... to build a creative voice... to learn how to learn and explore, well, who knows where they might lead us.

I posted the landing too... not the end of a week-long exploration... but the beginning of something new:



I can't thank all of you enough for your hospitality, your willingness to learn, and to take risks and chances. We saw a great deal of courage this week as you wrapped up a long, three-year journey of classwork en route to your final Master projects, and then on to graduation. I applaud your resolve to take on new challenges and to broaden your horizons in this program. As you know, it's no small commitment... and it should be celebrated! It was a privilege for me to work with all of you. I sincerely hope you keep in touch, keep asking questions (of me and your peers), and keep seeking inspiration for your students and for yourselves. I look forward to returning to Monterrey, to seeing you again, and to new adventures.

The Force is with us, Adam



No comments:

Post a Comment