Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Lucky Child- an Auschwitz Survivor



I read this book during the weekend, it is about a child that survived Auschwitz during WWII. The book is a memoir and it was written by the boy, Thomas Buergenthal. The book was so inspiring that I decided to look for his contact information and e-mail him. I found his e-mail address in the George Washington University Law School, since he is a Law professor there.

I wrote him an email telling him how inspiring his book was to me and how it had given me hope because of the situation we are living here in Mexico. Of course, I told him that I knew that our situation couldn't compare to what he went through, but that we were also living through a war, a different one. I just told him how much I admired him and told him that I would appreciate if he could answer me and just give me some sort of advice or words of hope.

To my surprise, he answered me!!! I cried, really cried when I saw his e-mail. This was very special to me since I know he is a very busy man, and he took the time to read my e-mail and about my problems to answer me. It was also very special to me because I had actual contact with an Auschwitz survivor and because HE was talking to ME about hope and survival.

The reason I tell you this is because this is proof, a small one, that you can achieve anything you pursue...

This is a copy of his email to me.


Dear Adriana,
Thank you very much for your email and for reading my book. Your words moved me very much, especially your cry for help you and that of all others caught in that terrible drug war, which has killed so many innocent people.
I wish I knew what to tell you. It is, of course, clear that the failure of the US to prevent the drugs from coming into our country and our failure to prevent weapons from going to Mexico from the US, which end up in the hands of the drug cartels, play into the hands of the drug lords. At the same time, the inability of Mexican authorities to eradicate the cartels and Mexico's failure to deal effectively with the corruption of the police forces enables the drug lords to kill with impunity.As you can see, it is easy to provide a diagnosis but difficult to know what solution would work.
Thank you also for the kind words you write about me. I wish I were that wise person you think I am because then I would know how solve the terrible problems you and your fellow Mexicans face in your daily lives because of the drug wars.
My best wishes and regards, TB
--
Thomas Buergenthal
Lobingier Professor
George Washington University Law School
2000 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052



1 comment:

  1. Powerful post Adry. Many thanks for posting it up here. The problems here in Monterrey will take creative thinking, dedication, passion to right. Rekindling hope.

    ReplyDelete